| Review documentation and inspect access point locations. |
1. Review documentation showing signal strength analysis from site survey activities, if available.
2. Use testing equipment or WLAN clients to determine if the signal strength is, in the reviewer's judgment, excessively outside the required area (e.g., strong signal in the parking area, public areas, or uncontrolled spaces).
3. Lower-end access points will not have this setting available. In this case, verify the access points are located away from exterior walls to achieve compliance with this requirement.
If any of the following is found, this is a finding:
- Visual inspection of equipment shows obvious improper placement of access points where they will emanate into uncontrolled spaces (e.g., next to external walls, windows, or doors; uncontrolled areas; or public areas).
- Building walk-through testing shows signals of sufficient quality and strength to allow wireless access to exist in areas not authorized for WLAN access.