| This check examines only the Windows Support Tools. If none of the tools are installed, then this check is not applicable. |
1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click the “My Computer” item and select “Search…”
3. Type “Support" in the file name field.
4. Select “Local Hard Drives” in the “Look in:” field.
5. Click the Search [or Search Now] button.
6. Record the location for the “Support Tools” directory. The SA may have installed the Support Tools under an alternate name. If the default directory is not found, ask the SA.
7. If the directory is not found and the SA confirms that the Support Tools are not installed, then this check is not applicable.
8. Using the recorded location, compare the current ACL of the Support Tools directory to the following:
Windows Support Tools Permissions:
...\Support Tools :Administrators, SYSTEM :Full Control (F)
: [IAO-approved users \ user groups] :Read, Read & Execute, List Folder Contents
9. If the folder permissions are not at least as restrictive as required, then this is a finding.